Time: 30-45 minutes
Starts: Thornbury Leisure Centre Car Park (directions)
A loop around Filnore Woods with woodland and dens for kids to explore and great views across Thornbury, to the River Severn and Wales.
A lovely one for families or for those looking to stretch their legs away from the centre of the town and some of the busier country lanes in Thornbury.
It can be muddy so bring wellies in the winter or if it has been raining!
Let’s get walking…
- The walk starts at the top of the Thornbury Leisure Centre car park, through a large gate.
- Follow a short gravel path past the skate park into the field. You will have a choice of mown paths to follow, we took the left hand path but straight ahead is fine too, you’ll end up at the same place. Follow the path until you reach the sign for Filnore Woods.
- Continue through the opening into the woods and turn left. Follow the path past the white building until it starts curving round to the right (there are a few other paths on the right but make sure you keep following the one you are on until it curves right up a gentle hill).
- Stay the path (ignoring those that climb steeply up the hill) until you reach a kissing gate, about halfway up the hill. Go through the kissing gate and continue until you reach the hedgerow and are at the top of the hill.
- Here there will be a footpaths on your left, straight ahead and to the right. Take the right, walk-ing along the top of the hill you have just climbed. When you reach a fork, take the right path for a good view point of Thornbury and Wales.
- Continue following the path on top of the hill as it bears left and you will reach another fork. Take the left, back towards the woods.
- When you reach the end of the path (facing the fields), turn right into the woods.
- The path then starts taking you downhill – this can be slippy when muddy so take care. At the bottom cross the wooden bridge and continue straight ahead.
- The path forks again, take the left. It continues straight for a while before bearing right slightly after the little glade. Continue down the hill.
- Just before you reach the bottom of the hill you’ll have a choice of continuing straight ahead or turning right. Take the right.
- Follow the path until you end up back at the entrance to Filnore Woods.
- Make your way back to the car park either across or around the field.