Time: 1 hour
Starts: Thornbury Scout Hut car park (directions)
If you’re after a gentle country stroll that takes you away from Thornbury town into the countryside then this is an ideal loop!
We love how quickly this walk takes you out into the fields around Thornbury. It is perfect if you‘re short on time but are looking for the wonderful head space the countryside can give you.
Let’s get walking…
- The walk starts at the Park Road car park, next to Thornbury Scout Hut.
- Cross over the road as you come out of the car park, take a short right before turning left on Alexandra Way. Continue down this road until just past the Alexandra Way Residential Care home, where there is a footpath on your left.
- Follow this footpath to the end and instead of turning right, go through the kissing gate onto the new Park Farm Estate.
- Turn right and follow the road (Barley Fields) until you have gone over the large concrete road bridge and see Buttercup road on your left. Walk along Buttercup Road until you reach the footpath at the end.
- Turn left and follow the yellow footpath around until you can see the stream ahead of you. Head over to the footpath that runs along the very edge of the stream (at the moment there is still building work going on so you may need to make you way across some rough terrain).
- Follow the edge of the stream (this is Pickedmoor Lane Rhine) away from the housing estate (so you’ll be heading right if you are facing the stream directly), through the metal gate and into the field beyond. Keeping to the edge of the stream, cross the field until you reach a gate.
- Go through this gate, across the track and over the stile directly opposite. Then continue following the stream until you reach a large iron gate which you should be able to squeeze round.
- Here the path forks, take the left hand path through the next field until you reach another large metal gate. Once again you should be able to squeeze round this, then continue along this track until you reach a larger track with the option to go left or right.
- Go left and follow this track all the way until you come out by Thornbury Castle and St Mary Church. At some point along the track you’ll come across a large metal gate and a smaller one next to it, go through this and just keep following the track until you reach the church.
- Once are next to the church, keep going straight along Park Road (away from the High Street and towards The Castle School) until you reach the car park where we began.