Time: 1-1:30 hours
Starts: St Mary Church, Thornbury (directions)
If you grew up in Thornbury and the surrounding area, it’s likely you studied Thornbury Castle at some point during your school days. However if you’re like me, apart from an afternoon tea or the occasional wedding, it’s unlikely you’ve given it much thought since.
This walk takes you on a lovely loop beginning and ending behind the castle, with views of this Thornbury landmark from a different perspective. It’s amazing how quickly Thornbury turns to peaceful open countryside! Please remember to be respectful of farmland and keep to the footpaths.
This walk can be muddy so ensure you are properly equipped if it’s winter or has been raining.
Let’s get walking…
- Start by following the track directly to the left of Thornbury Castle’s main entrance. Follow it until it forks into two, take the path to your left.
- Follow this (which turns from a track into a path) until you reach a series of kissing gates. Cross over both and continue walking straight.
- After walking along the edge of a field for a while the path bears to the right, keep following it all the way along until you reach the road at the end (Kington Road).
- Turn right and follow the road for approximately 700m, past Thornbury Self Storage on the right and Churnmead Farmhouse and Barn on the left. Just past the farm you will see a track on your right, turn into this and go through the kissing gate into the field on your right.
- Follow the footpath (this is quite faint) straight ahead from the gate to the other side of the field and go through the large wooden gate (along from the end of the garden backing onto the field).
- Continue diagonally across the field towards Thornbury Castle and go through the gate on the other side, crossing over a small wooden bridge and another gate.
- Continue diagonally across this field directly towards Thornbury Castle and go through the large metal gate on the other side.
- Once again, cross this field diagonally towards the Castle, keeping the grassy mound on your right. Go through the metal gate, across the track and through the second metal gate, heading to a final gate in the top left of the field.
- Once on the track, there is a large gate and smaller gate next to it. Go through and follow the track straight ahead.
- The walls of Thornbury Castle will appear on your left, keep following the track and you’ll join up with the track we started on, coming out, by the entrance to the Castle and St Mary Church.